The penis is an incredibly complex and vital part of the male body, yet there are still many things we don’t know about it. Below, we’ve compiled a list of interesting facts about the penis that you may not know.
- The average size of an erect penis is 5.1-5.9 inches in length, and 4.7-5.1 inches in girth. This varies considerably from person to person and is affected by age, weight, and other factors.
- The penis is made of three main parts: the root, the body, and the glans. The root is the portion of the penis that is attached to the pubic bone. The body is the middle portion of the penis, while the glans is the head.
- The penis is capable of bending up to 30 degrees in any direction. This is a normal part of its anatomy and is not a sign of a problem.
- The penis has two primary functions: urination and reproduction. During sexual intercourse, it is responsible for delivering sperm to the female reproductive tract.
- The penis is covered with skin that is much thinner than the skin on the rest of the body. This is why it appears larger than other areas of the body – the skin is thinner, allowing the underlying structures to be more visible.
- The penis is made up of several muscles that help it become engorged with blood. This is why erections are possible, as the muscles essentially push blood into the penis to make it stiff and rigid.
- The penis contains thousands of nerve endings, making it very sensitive to touch. In fact, it is the most sensitive organ of the male body.
- The penis is capable of being pierced. This process is called “genital piercing” and is usually done for cosmetic purposes. It can be a painful procedure and should only be done by a qualified professional.
- The penis is made up of two types of tissue: spongy tissue and cavernous tissue. The spongy tissue is responsible for filling with blood to become erect, while the cavernous tissue is responsible for ejaculation.
- Contrary to popular belief, the penis does not have bones. It is made up of soft tissues and muscles, which allow it to bend and move when aroused.
We hope you found this list of interesting facts about the penis informative and enlightening. It’s amazing how much we still don’t know about this vital organ, even after centuries of study.